Friday, May 16, 2014

Butterflies!!

Our butterflies have come out of their chrysalids!  The students were able to see them in various stages of their life cycle.  It was exciting to see how they changed each day.  We viewed a great clip on youtube of a monarch butterfly metamorphosis. click here

We really enjoyed our "Best School Day Ever" today.  The students voted on things they would like to do based on their books that they made.  Some of the activities we did are: 
Morning Work: watch a movie
Math: Play Around the World with math facts and telling time. ( I also threw in a story about time)
Recess: free play and Heads Up - 7- Up
Science: We made edible slime.  It wasn't much to play with but it was gooey and sweet!  We also viewed a video on insects and learned about the Scientific Method (stating an hypothesis and planning experiments to prove or disprove it).
Snack: Ice cream and edible slime!
Reading: Read animal books with a buddy
I think everyone had a good time but also learned along the way.

This week we also finished our opinion writing.  I know I promised photos but I left my camera at home... next week. 

Our field trip is on May 30th.  If you have not yet sent in a permission slip I sent another one home today.

The book report project is due on or before May 22nd.
Have a great weekend!